Of course we have all heard the statement " Laugh with them " or heard of someone making a bad situation funny. How far is to far. This blog is going to have a focus on "Satire". Satire the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing,denouncing, or deriding vice, folly. I am re-introducing a video I have used before in a previous blog. I feel it is such a good fit and will help illustrate my point of view.
This video is a clip from the Dave Chappel Show. "The Niggar Family" in this it takes basic stereotypes and assumption about African Americans and pokes fun at it by having it be a "white" family.
In this video it visits a lot of stereotypes concerning the physical attributes, characteristic of "African Americans"
. They talk about lips its is said that black people have fuller lips.They talk about a white man basically not wanting his white daughter dating a black male. Touch on that tardiness and even how we could be treated at a restaurant.
The next video I came across is about a man who did not know he was black and believed in WHITE POWER ! Talks about not only race issues but homosexual and other world issues that are often talked about teased and greatly discussed.
I watched both of these clips with mother who did not find the humor in either video. She states "it is to painful". Is everything meant to be joked about. I challenged my mother with the statement maybe its taking the power out of the people who say these type of things to be hurtful or spiteful and turning it around. Switching the tables to laugh at pain. I think of it as in the way if i fall in front of people I will laugh as well so I can not feel any type of embarrassing any type of emotion that makes me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. Focusing on the use of "N" word my mom was one of the people that had sit in and experience the real use of the word. Does it make it okay to take the power out of the world and make it common or is there still power behind it. How would those who got beat while being called a "nigga" feel that it is no used so loosely. Do i find this funny well I sm still on the fence I can laugh but there is still a feeling of being offended in my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment